Saturday, January 16, 2010

"Doctor's note" scenario - discussion

Here's a reader's question regarding the practice prompt I posted: "Doctor's note".
I have a questions for you about our stations. For Station 3 about the child's note, I was just wondering whether I had gone off on a tangent ... I spent a lot of time explaining to the interviewer how I would: communicate with my son in order to understand why he was telling me he was sick; explain to him the value of the physicians note; and then, if after my discussion with him about responsibility, he still doesn't admit to the truth, I would suggest that we go to our family doctor to get one.

My station interviewer said that my response was mostly based on how I felt but didn't include any "logic" whereby logic would include things such as the impact of giving the fake note and the public's perception of this action by a physician.

So, I was hoping to get your thoughts.  When I first read this question, I think I took it quite literally as in explain how I would deal with this (communication-wise) but it seems that it could also be a question about ethics (would you or would you not give the note and why or why not). Did I miss the point here? And if I did, do you have any suggestions on how I could read these prompts so that I will not miss the boat again? :P

And here's my reply:
It seems like you answered this question quite well until you said you would get a fake note for your son, and your interviewer was quite right to point out the ethical considerations in this situation. Besides honesty and professional integrity being very important for a physician, the public's trust in the profession being jeopardized, getting a fake note for your son is almost certainly detrimental to his character in the long run.

You didn't go off topic if you tackled this scenario as a communication challenge, but like in any other scenarios, ethical considerations must be addressed whenever warranted. The same goes to acting stations, stations that ask about your personal experience, stations about health care... almost any question asks you, explicitly or implicitly, to evaluate right and wrong.

So my answer to you would be: in the 2 minutes that you have to prepare your thoughts, brainstorm all the things you must consider -- who's interest is involved? What ethical aspects are at play? How are you going to deliver your message? Why may someone disagree with you?

I hope this would help :)

No comments:

Post a Comment