Tuesday, February 24, 2009

[Interview] 5 days till the Big Day

I went to the Wine and Cheese social event organized by the Med Undergrad Society last weekend, and it was really a wonderful night (for various reasons :P). Social-wise, I got to know more med students and reconfirmed my finding that these people are the coolest kids in town. They are so dynamic, so unique, and all so enthusiastic about what they do... I want to be a part of this family.

A few interviewee friends of mine were there too, and one of them were quite nervous about her upcoming interview. She has it at the same timeslot as me.

I, on the other hand, was totally chilled. I could think of a few reasons for this too:

1. I've approached this application as a test run -- just to test the water and see how things work. My real med school application effort will come next year.

2. I'm never the type that gets nervous about exams and interviews; I was talking to another friend the other day, and I figured that my mentality is "do all I can do and see what happens".

3. My mind is just too damn occupied right now to worry about med interview. Is there anything more important than an imminent interview? *Surprised* Yes, yes there is.

Anyway, what have I done in the last little while and what will I do in the next 5 days, in terms of med school interview?

Last week, a friend of mine and I each organized a mock interview, hers at her apartment, and mine at some classrooms on campus. Counting the other practices, I've had 4 runs in total, and really, I think that's enough. If you haven't tried reading the question prompts and answering under time pressure, I strongly recommend you do so. Don't do it by yourself; best to find current med students or friends who are interviewing, but if that's not available, find other friends and family. Just ask them to sit there, keep time, and listen to you talk for 7 minutes.

I'm also reading some books on medical ethics, and I will probably read up on the rural medical issues. The book I am reading is called "Doing Right", by Philip C. Hebert.

Here I'd like to stress how previliged and thankful I feel about having an awesome supporting team of around 10 interviewing students. There is very little sense of competition among our group; we genuinely want each other to do well, giving the best feedback and suggestions we can give to each other. Also, I couldn't find that Doing Right book in bookstores and ordering it would take a month, so I sent out an email to this group for help. Within 24 hours, 3 people replied offering to lend me the book.

Anyway, in the next little while I'm just going to take it slow. Read the stuff I plan to read, do the school work I need to do, and on that fateful Sunday morning sleep in until 10am if I can, get a nice big brunch, take a walk around, shower, change, and drop the bomb.

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Val,
    Thanks for your message! Out of the thousands of views to my interview posts, you are the only one to leave me a comment :D

    I will email you some practice problems my friends and I came up with. I didn't write down the questions from the current med students, but hopefully our home-made questions would be of some use.

    Congrads on getting an interview from McGill too! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Zeroratio,

    I really enjoyed reading all of your posts about your med school application journey. I can really relate to what you're going through. Hopefully I will get a positive feeling after my interview too!

    I was lucky enough to get an interview at McGill as well and was wondering if you could send a copy of sample MMI questions that you practiced with?

    My email is aclementine4u@yahoo.com
    (I know it's cheesy..lol, it's from high school =P)

    Thanks for your help, and your amazing posts! I bookmarked your site :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Zeroratio, congrat on your admission into med, I just spent 2 hours reading through your entire blog( most of them), and it's like an addiction. You are a brilliant person and I am not a stalker. So I am applying for med this year too and was wondering if you can send me the MMI sample quesitons if you still have them by any chance?

    My email is Shuyi0202@msn.com

    But thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with people, you do somehow spread positive energy around and people really need that.

    Keep it up!

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!!

    I really appreciate your help in blog form... as you remember, the application process is quite stressful, especially for those of us who are not blessed with your sense of Chillax!

    I have an interview coming up in MMI form, and would love it if you sent a copy of those home-made questions to me as well. yhfong@ucalgary.ca

    I would also love to read your blog as you go through medical school.... cant wait to hear about the next interview saga : residency matching

    Thanks again!

    Yinnifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Package sent :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Zeroratio

    I just found your website when I was searching on interview tips on premed101 forums. It is so awesome! i just got an interview invite from University of Calgary and I am trying to prepare for it. This website is amazing! It's so nice to have people like you who try to help us worried premeds out.

    I was wondering if I could have the interview package. I really dont know what kind of questions to make myself. Thanks so much!

    My email is: jemmali.88@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi ZeroRatio,

    I stumbled across your site while browsing the forums of SDN. This site is full of useful resources, and I just want to thank for the time you put in to help pre-med students like us!

    When you have time, I would really appreciate if you could also send an interview package to

    emergency.doctor@hotmail.com

    Again, thanks for your help,

    Kind regards,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I am a practising family doc in a smallish city in Saskatchewan and am also an interviewer for U of Sask Med College. My daughter is applying this year and I am helping her prepare for her MMI. Obviously I am disqualified from interviewing this year and I can't ethically use the questions I remember from the interviews I did so this site is a godsend!!!! You are an extremely creative person and I wish you well....I think you're gonna be a great doc!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Volker,

    I'm really happy to help! And thanks for leaving me a message :) I am totally surprised and excited that my site could be useful for a doc --- it feels like I'm giving back to my mentors and preceptors somehow.

    Good luck to your daughter and you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi zeroratio,

    I don't know if you are still active on this blog, but if you read this, I shall be grateful if you can pass on some of your sample MMI questions to: edusmr@hotmail.com

    Thanks for posting about your experiences. This blog is definitely helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. same here! as you can tell the interview invitations had just been sent out! :)

    xga1@sfu.ca

    thanks for your help.
    i'm also looking for 'doing right' and i can't find a copy anywhere. Would you happen to know someone who could part with it for a couple of weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! Just stumbled upon this, wonder if the admin/OP is still active on here?

    ReplyDelete